Thursday 4 December 2008

God's Infinitely Outreaching Love

Had a busy day - had to travel up to Aberdeen for a meeting and travelled by train. Had to change trains once on the way up and then on the way down and it was freezing! But it was one of those days where I was very conscious of God. Like Larry Gillick says, God is infinitely outreaching in his love and he comes to us according to us - he communicates his love in ways that relate specifically to me. He reaches out to us all the time and sometimes we miss it but today travelling back home I realised God had come to me today in different things I'd seen. The first was standing at Inverkeithing station I watched a swan flying by towards the sea - what an awesome sight - flying white against the grey clouds, big and graceful; then travelling past Aberdour when the train is really near the shore - there on a rock in a freezing sea was a seal - I love seals; then tonight travelling home I could only get a seat on the 'wrong side' of the train - usually like to be on the side by the sea. It was too dark to see anything anyway but I happened to be sitting westward so saw a spectacular sky as the sun was setting over Montrose Basin - and it felt like it was all just for me. God coming in his infinite love to bless me. Just like God saying - "Dot will love this"

Then standing at Inverkeithing waiting on the train back to Dunfermline I laughed cos I'd just been reading Shane Claiborne "Irresistible Revolution" all the way down on the train, which I'd borrowed from Mark, then as I was standing waiting for my train, another train drew up and sitting right in front of me head stuck in a book was Mark.

This might seem weird to you but it makes perfect sense to me and there's such a sense of intimacy with God - knowing I'm loved.

No comments: