Thursday 7 May 2009

While I'm on the Subject...

Since I'm in poetry mode - here is, probably, my favourite. The language is really beautiful and clever and it's a real joy just to read the words and hear the sound of them. But the ideas and the complexity behind it makes me reflect on issues which are close to my heart.

As Kingfishers Catch Fire

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
Selves -- goes itself; _myself_ it speaks and spells,
Crying _What I do is me: for that I came_.

I say more: the just man justices;
Keeps grace: that keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God's eye what in God's eye he is --
Christ. For Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men's faces.
Gerard Manley Hopkins

What does it mean? - I think it's worthwhile taking some time to think about the themes of this poem. It's talking about the unique thing that each created thing does. The reason for it's creation and being true to that calling, whether a dragonfly or a stringed instrument. It's talking about the interiority of our being - a good Ignatian theme - inside ourselves (indoors) - our very essence - what we're here for. What I do is me - it's more than just something objective - it's at the very heart of me - it is me.

What does the just person do? - they 'justice' - what does a Christian do - what is our essence - surely it is to 'Christ'. There's an interesting thing to reflect on and pray with - what does it mean for me to 'Christ'? The word Christian literally means 'little Christ'. Christ plays through us, through our hands and our feet, through our faces. We were created to reflect our Creator and everywhere we go, to take his likeness. To keep grace - that keeps all our goings graces.

No comments: