Thursday 4 June 2009

Emergent & Rahner

As I am reading my way through Rahner I increasingly feel that Rahner and Emergent go together - so I was having a Google on this basis and came across this article here on Prodigal Kiwi(s) blog.

Prodigal Kiwi is quoting from a paper by Declan Marmion titled “Theology, Spirituality, and the Role of Experience in Karl Rahner,” Louvain Studies, 29, 2004, 49-76 and I particularly liked a couple of quotes; Rahner

...transposes questions of God into the transcending adventure of human freedom rather than speaking of faith as primarily an ascent of truth... This means helping people to accept and recognise an immediate closeness of God within the ordinary and extraordinary drama of their own life…

I also liked this quote which ties the spirituality of Rahner back into lived theology and social justice;

...The contemporary focus on spiritual experience ... can easily fall into both the “despotism of the sacred” and the “narcissism of the self”, whereas what is needed is a genuinely personalised religion that unites affectivity, intelligence and social responsibility in the light of faith...

I really like this so I must get back to Google and see if I can find the article. Oh yea, and I think that if I were one for labels I would now officially be a post-evangelical emergent Christian

No comments: