Monday 27 April 2009

Books Books Books

I said I'd come back and let you know what I am reading just now.



They are all worth a look and although from very different Christian traditions - are remarkably in tune with one another. I am about to start "Foundations of Christian Faith; Introduction to the Idea of Christianity" by Karl Rahner. I'm looking forward to this as I've just finished reading one of his more devotional books, "Encounters with Silence" which is interesting as, although quite profound (he is a philosopher and theologian), is very much rooted in the everyday and our experience of God within this context. Now that I've read a bit about Rahner through the SPCK introduction, this seems to be very much his concern, and the Ignatian influence in his work is very strong.

His work also appears to be notoriously difficult to read, but I like a challenge, so I'll keep you posted as to how I get on!

2 comments:

Mo said...

I so need to read more! Did you read lots when the kids were small? Come on... tell me. How and when do you find the time?

I blame Doris Day said...

I've probably always read lots - the root of it is just plain curiosity. Some small thought pops into my head or something grabs my attention and then I dig around to see what's out there, then start following some line of argument and then I'm hooked. Google must be the best thing ever for people with brains like mine. Just to give you the heads up - my latest curiosity is Radical Orthodoxy - so watch this space.....