Tuesday 27 October 2009

"Stillness in a Hectic World"

My sister got me an early Christmas present, Ludovico Einaudi was performing in Edinburgh after 3 years absence appearing again at the Usher Hall. So Sunday night, bad back and all, we headed off to Edinburgh.

If you have never heard Einaudi then I suggest you remedy this right away and get one of his CDs. I've used Einaudi's music in worship and prayer events; as background to multimedia presentations; I think actually that on a Sunday morning we could do away with some of the mushy nonsense that passes for contemporary worship music and just play some Einaudi pieces instead; he is also brilliant if you are seeking to come to stillness before prayer. His music is very difficult to categorise and has been variously described as classical; ambient; chamber music; this time the programme described it as "the sound of stillness in a hectic world", which is perfect.

To actually be at one of his concerts is on a different level altogether. The sense of peace and stillness which pervades the place when he plays is profoundly spiritual. I've seen him 3 times now and it is an experience that is like no other. I've seen him with just himself and his Steinway and with a cellist. This time like last, he appeared with his Steinway, 2 violinists who also played guitar and percussion (brilliantly!), a viola, a cellist and "live electronics". He opened the concert with a piece from his latest CD, Nightbook, The Planets, and as we sat in the darkened auditorium the music from the piano played and the violinists and viola player slowly walked from the back of the stalls through the audience. The music is haunting and uplifting and pierces your spirit. I find it difficult to not smile throughout the whole thing.

Two (not one - two) standing ovations later; that could be it for another 3 years; he's got no more dates in Scotland this time around but you can still catch him in Birmingham (tonight!!), Basingstoke, Poole, Gateshead and next year in London, Leicester, Brighton and Coventry - if you live near any of these places - get a ticket.

So when Christmas day comes and I don't have a present to unwrap - who cares - (my lovely sister also bought me the CD cos I wasn't well) I'll just put that on and let my mind drift back to experience the concert at the Usher Hall and rekindle that incredible stillness. Ludovico Einaudi - you are a legend!

No comments: