Thursday 10 June 2010

Reflections on the Passion #1

I have to admit I've found it really difficult to blog recently. I think some of it is related to the focus of my prayer in the past weeks. Blogging about the Passion feels kind of out of sync with where we are in the year, but I also feel that when I'm praying God is very present and that he gifts me, out of his grace, insights and experiences that I find quite hard to articulate. As I've progressed through the exercises I feel that I've become less and less able to verbalise what it is that God is doing and showing me, but I have experienced it as full of incredible grace and generous love.

I thought that what I might do is share some little reflections on what has been moving me, I think, otherwise, that I might come to a complete halt on my blogging.

#1

Jesus anointed at Bethany

Jesus has just announced that he is about to die; one of his disciples is in the process of seeking to betray him; the religious leaders are desperately plotting to capture him and kill him secretly; Jesus knows what he has to say to his disciples the next day; he is in the home of a family he loves and he is having the second last meal of his life; he knows what his disciples and those who love him will face shortly; he has to live out this final act of his public ministry and then what ...? Jesus has to live this by faith even though he is God he is fully human. This is not a foregone conclusion although Jesus believes he will rise again he has to set his face towards it and choose to follow it.

I imagine Jesus conflicted by all of these thoughts and concerns surrounded by his friends and disciples yet alone in really knowing what all of this means for him and for them. His disciples talking and eating, maybe not fully aware of the turmoil Jesus is going through. But the woman...Mary, who sat at Jesus feet...

Mary sees him. Really sees him. Understands what is happening and the most loving gesture she can make is to take a beautiful jar of expensive perfume and pour it over his head. It is a gesture of love, empathy, understanding and devotion. It is a selfless act to acknowledge what Jesus is experiencing.

The disciples see waste - Jesus sees understanding and concern. The disciples measure the act in terms of it's monetary worth - Jesus measures the act in terms of its self giving. She has honoured him and he reflects honour back to her. "...throughout the world, this woman's deed will be remembered and discussed"

By anointing him in this way she is proclaiming him to be the King. The Christ. Hebrew kings were not crowned, they were anointed and the fragrance acted like a crown on their heads, giving an aroma of the holy. That smell of the anointing perfume would remain on Jesus over the coming days, Gethsemane, Caiaphas' house, before the Sanhedrin, Herod's palace, the Praetorium, the cross. The aroma clung to him proclaiming, wherever he went, that he is the Messiah; the Holy One of God.

No comments: